Share your most horrific travel mistake/blunder!

This topic contains 9 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  johnjohn 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    FrustratedBillionaire
    FrustratedBillionaire
    Keymaster

All of us have had travel blunders to the point of excruciating humiliation (Facepalm!). Admit it. Those blackout nights and hungover mornings, awkward cultural differences, vomit-inducing food, and stinky toilets must ring a bell!

Zhong Liang

Being at PIT (bound for SFO), thinking I got the right gate – got a croissant and happily ate it only to hear gate agent yell Toronto! Which made me realize I was looking at the wrong gate (1 gate to the left) – where most of the people had boarded and the flight was due to leave.

I was saved by the United pilots who were arguing with the catering staff over why they had no lunches catered for them.

Pau Villano
    Pau Villano
    Participant

I was so excited on my upcoming trip to Paris. I was running late to the airport and arrived just in time only to find out I had left my passport back home. Ack! Not only did i miss my flight, I was tagged as no-show and had to pay a one way ticket to CDG. Damn! talk about wasting money.

mackyroon
    Participant

I was on a vacation in San Francisco and I commuted via BART (their train system). While looking at the downtown map an old homeless man approached me and we had quite a discussion. We had a good laugh and while I was laughing with my mouth wide open a small drop of his saliva went out from his mouth to mine. I had to contain my mouth for the rest of the trip and spat them all out right after. Yuck!

evan_rogers
    Participant

does sneezing my green slimy snot out during a handshake with a fellow passenger effin count as a travel blunder?

FrustratedBillionaire
    FrustratedBillionaire
    Keymaster

Thanks and welcome to the community @Zhong Liang, @Pau Villano, @mackyroon, & @evan_rogers! :) I think it’s time that I post my own stupid travel blunder :D

OK clearly this is almost a replay of the movie “The Hangover”. I went on an overnight trip to Las Vegas back in 2014 with my sister and brother-in-law and got a deal at the old Circus Circus hotel so we decided to spend the night there. Our goal was to party the night out at Drai’s after hours so we hurried to the club immediately after checking in.

We got a table service and ordered a huge bottle of vodka and some pulutan. What happens next we did not expect. We drank the night away and invited some girls to our table. Since I had a couple with me I decided to go to the dance floor with the girls and mingled with the other guests. We were all having a great time actually – the drinks, the chatter, the dance floor, the photo-op – it was a blast, until the alcohol kicked in.

The next thing I remember it was 10AM and I was seriously hugging a toilet, barfing my innards out at some place I do not know. I went through the door and finally saw my sis and bro-in-law waiting for me at the breakfast table – we were at Denny’s. I remember being so confused and incoherent at the time, trying to make sense of what happened that night. Seriously I had amnesia at the time (even ’til now, I still can’t remember most of the events) She asked me where my wallet and cellphone were just to scare me off a bit and gave them to me right away, so I was thankful nothing serious happened.

After brunch we went to the Vegas strip to do what tourists normally do and went for dinner at Bacchanal Buffet at Caesars Palace (it’s only the best buffet in Vegas). While in the car going to Bacchanal that’s when I started to feel a bad hangover and that’s also when I checked my wallet just to find out if nothing’s really lost. Oh my f*$(#&* s#@* everything was there except for my $1000 pocket money. I just had been in the US for 3 days so I hadn’t spent that much yet, so there goes my one f*&$#@( grand. I started to panic and hate myself and announced in the car what I just lost. Of course my sis and bro panicked as well and started to figure out what really happened. That was the longest ride of my life, thinking of the things could’ve bought or invested on with that stupid $1K.

To make things worse, my hangover kicked in badly while at the buffet. I was there at the best and arguably one of the most expensive buffet in Vegas, nauseous, unable to think and constantly running to the bathroom to barf the food I just ate. We tried to forget what happened for a while but to me the cash I just lost and my nauseous hangover was all that mattered.

After dinner we decided to retrace our steps and find out what exactly happened, hoping we could still find the cash before leaving for San Francisco. Went back to Circus Circus to check the lost and found section (as if, but just to make sure) and checked with hotel security if they noticed something or if they could let us view the cctv recordings. Of course, security said NO since we had to file a police report first which we didn’t have the time for. When I insisted, security just told me I should’ve just have been a responsible adult. Which made me so mad. I mean, isn’t Vegas a place for immature adults to just drink and play, not minding anything since what happens in V stays there? I just said something stupid and walked away.

We then headed to the hotel lobby to wait for valet and that’s when I finally realized I could check my phone for evidences. The pics the night before were just all about partying and nice chicks, nothing about me losing my money. When I viewed the last picture I suddenly had goosebumps. I don’t know, but I think she’s the one. The pic had me and another lady I vaguely remember taking a selfie together with her covering her eyes up. I don’t know but I think she’s the one just because I have shivers whenever I see the photo.

‘Til now I have the same questions. Do you think she’s the culprit? I think I was seriously drugged because I never felt having that drunk blackout before. Someone should’ve dropped cocaine on my drink. Do you think I was drug-raped?

rosey28
    Participant

Nice one haha sir frustratedbillionaire feeling ko na-rape ka nga! Feeling ko hindi ka natiis ni mam beautiful at nagwapuhan sya sobra sayo hehe. sayang lang po yung 1K..

Ako naman po haha, sa Japan naman to while in Tokyo, papunta kami ng Shinjuku station buong group kami. eh sa katangahan ko naiwan ako ng train kasi nakatingin ako sa malayo hindi ko napansin nagulat nalang ako tinatawag ako nung mga kasama ko papunta sa loob then habang tumatakbo ako nagsara na yung train doors. Wala akong roaming nun so wala din ako internet connection. I got nervous talaga so ang ginawa ko nalang sumakay ako ng next train going to Shinjuku buti nalang when I arrived andun sila haha. Grabe kinabahan talaga ako buti nalang talaga. :D

Karlauy86
    Participant

Haha kaloka @frustratedbillionaire. I agree feeling ko they put some extra strong drugs sa drink mo at narape ka. Haha. Ako naman hindi naman ganyan kagrabe, nafood poison lang naman ako while eating curry sa isang indian resto sa new delhi. I think they didn’t heat the dish that much that’s just enough to kill the bacteria. My trip was for 7 days and buti nalang ika 6th day ko na nung nagkasakit ako so at least hindi masyadong sayang ung trip. And also thankfully I had purchased travel insurance so they reimbursed my hospital trip in delhi. Lesson learned: don’t just eat anywhere,  make sure na properly heated ang food especially if mejo unsanitary yung area. Most importantly, get yourself a travel insurance. You’ll never know when you need it di ba? And mura lang naman so keri lang..

trishaaguila
    Participant

Haha kaloka @frustratedbillionaire. I agree feeling ko they put some extra strong drugs sa drink mo at narape ka. Haha. Ako naman hindi naman ganyan kagrabe, nafood poison lang naman ako while eating curry sa isang indian resto sa new delhi. I think they didn’t heat the dish that much that’s just enough to kill the bacteria. My trip was for 7 days and buti nalang ika 6th day ko na nung nagkasakit ako so at least hindi masyadong sayang ung trip. And also thankfully I had purchased travel insurance so they reimbursed my hospital trip in delhi. Lesson learned: don’t just eat anywhere, make sure na properly heated ang food especially if mejo unsanitary yung area. Most importantly, get yourself a travel insurance. You’ll never know when you need it di ba? And mura lang naman so keri lang..

Gurl same here!! Not in India tho.. This happened in Malaysia tas we went to some hawker center and then yun na mga after an hour I had stomach pain and fever. :( Not sure kung dahil madumi lang ba yung food or dahil super anghang nung curry.. Pero I didn’t need to go to the hospital na kase nawala na din sya kinabukasan.. tas eto pa when boarding the plane naman back to Manila (this was on Cebu Pac), as usual delayed ang flight ng 3 hours.. ayun one of my friends passed out sa loob ng aircraft sa sobrang init tapos ayaw kami payagang magdeplane kasi packed na daw yung departure area so they just opened the aircraft doors to get some fresh air.. pak na pak di ba? haha

johnjohn

We were on our last day in Cambodia and had an afternoon flight back to Manila so we finally had the guts to try the famous Magic Pizza at Siem Reap’s Pub Street which is most famous as a chill out place for expats.
    We were surprised that a certain Magic Pizza dashed with powdered marijuana even existed, and we were informed that the pizza is only available to foreigners and is illegal for purchase by locals. The thrill of consuming light drugs abroad made us decide last minute and try the pizza just for the fun of it.
    There were five of us and about an hour after consuming the pizza all of us were so high. Good think we were all allowed in the airport with all of us laughing at un-laughable things and one of my buddies had the worst. She kept on shouting “I’m flying, I’m flying!!!” while laughing throughout the flight.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

FrustratedBillionaire