Seoul Incheon Airport (ICN) Stopover & Free Hotel Stay on an Asiana Flight

Last year, I went on a trip from Manila to San Francisco and back via Korean Air, a 4-star airline, just so I could take advantage of the free Seoul transit tour provided for by Seoul’s Incheon International Airport (ICN). I scored this trip when Korean Air had an online promotion – I purchased the ticket for USD $1,080. See my article regarding this here.

This year I went on the same route, this time via Asiana Air, a 5-star airline. I got the ticket for USD $897 – I didn’t know at first that the Asiana Air website has year round promo fares and I just found out about it after scouring the web and comparing fares. Such a great deal, I must say! The cheapest I know of for this route.

Anyway, I was planning to register for another free transit tour with ICN airport when I called Asiana to confirm my reservation. Since my Seoul stopover is 12 hours, the agent asked me if I wanted a free transit tour or hotel accommodation provided for free by Asiana. I didn’t know at that time that Asiana has its own free transit tour, although ICN airport already has its own.

Of course I had to try Asiana’s freebies this time, however, the dilemma is, if I wanted the free transit tour or the hotel accommodation. For those of you who are wondering if you can have both, the answer is no. You can only choose one, as confirmed by the Asiana phone agent with a cute Korean accent. I asked what we will be doing if I choose the free tour – the agent replied it is the same as the tour provided for by the airport, only this time the food and temple entrance fees are for free.

I was actually itching to do another free tour since I didn’t need to rest anyway, however, since I love my readers, and to give you another perspective (what you’ll likely expect when you choose the hotel), I chose the free hotel. Who knows, I might find something interesting not far from the hotel I’ll be staying in.

Before I continue, a word of caution: you will have to call Asiana again to confirm if your hotel/tour has been successfully booked. This is because they will need some time to confirm your booking through a ‘central’ system, hence, they might forget your request (I think that shouldn’t be any of our concerns). Seriously, folks. When I asked the reason why I had to call them again the next day on my third call, the agent replied “this service is just for free anyway”. Anyway, enough of that. Just know that you’ll have to re-confirm. :) Also, Asiana cannot confirm which hotel you’ll be booked in as this information will only be available once you are in Korea (there are a number of partner hotels).

Also, for those of you who want to know how to join the transit tour without a visa, the process is the same in my previous article.

So there I was, at Seoul’s Incheon International Airport. After immigration, I immediately went to the arrivals area where the Asiana transit desk is location. The process was swift – after I showed them my passport and tickets, they immediately gave me my hotel room and meal voucher, along with the hotel – airport pick up time. I waited with other passengers for 10 minutes, and we were then picked up by the hotel service.

Asiana's Transit Tour counter located at the arrival area of Incheon (ICN) International Airport.

Asiana’s Transit Tour counter located at the arrival area of Incheon (ICN) International Airport.

This is the free hotel voucher (room and buffet lunch) provided for by Asiana Airlines to be presented to Hotel June.

Free airport pick-up and drop-off provided for by Hotel June.

Free airport pick-up and drop-off provided for by Hotel June.

The name is Hotel June. It is situated right in the town of Unseo which is just 15 minutes away from ICN. It is a small hotel (I think it is a 3-star hotel) in a commercial neighborhood full of Korean restaurants, pop-up shops, quaint and cute coffee shops, massage parlors, convenience stores, karaoke clubs, and internet cafes.

Check in was fast, and I was immediately led to my room. The whole hotel looked outdated, but it is clean and well maintained. My room was surprisingly huge and all to myself. It has a foyer, a large bathroom, 2 beds, and an entertainment system complete with a non-functional desktop computer :) (you may need to call IT if you need to use it). Wi-Fi was free and super fast. There were 3 complimentary bottles of water in my fridge as well.

Front Desk of Hotel June in Unseo, Seoul, South Korea.

Front Desk of Hotel June in Unseo, Seoul, South Korea.

Hotel June Seoul ICN Room

Hotel June Seoul ICN Room2

See the desktop computer? You may have to call IT to be able to use it. There's free high-speed Wi-Fi anyway that you can connect your smartphone to.

See the desktop computer? You may have to call IT to be able to use it. There’s free high-speed Wi-Fi anyway that you can connect your smartphone to.

Hotel June Seoul ICN Room Bathroom

Since I wasn’t able to sleep during the MNL-ICN leg of my flight, I decided to snooze before heading out for a walk. Pick-up time for the airport was 2pm, I still had lots of time to explore the area. I was excited to look around this small town, however I found it quite boring just after a few minutes of walking due to the lack of activity around the area. I think it is because it is still too early in the day and most of the activity goes off at night time (most of the establishments sport bright neon lights which for sure looks good at night).

Seoul's Hotel June is conveniently located in a commercial district about 10 minutes away from Incheon Airport (ICN).

Seoul’s Hotel June is conveniently located in a commercial district about 10 minutes away from Incheon Airport (ICN).

Unseo Area Seoul ICN

Unseo Area Seoul ICN

Unseo Area Seoul ICN

You will never run out of Korean specialties in this area. Yum!

You will never run out of Korean specialties in this area. Yum!

Unseo Train Station

A huge Lotte Department Store is just nearby for your convenience.

A huge Lotte Department Store is just nearby for your convenience.

Jung's Food, a mobile food truck located next to Unseo train station, serves interesting and cheap Western & Korean fusion food.

Jung’s Food, a mobile food truck located next to Unseo train station, serves interesting and cheap Western & Korean fusion food.

If you wish to roam further, Unseo train station is just a few blocks from Hotel June.

After the long walk, I headed back to the hotel to take the free buffet lunch and then finally take a shower and prepare for the airport trip. The food was ok, not a lot of selections but enough to make you feel full and satisfied for the next leg of your long-haul trip. There were salads, sliced bread, coffee and juices, soup, rice, fries, fried pork, chicken something, fried fish, and of course, kimchi. I then prepared and waited in the lobby area to make sure that I don’t miss the trip. I assumed that they will not wait for you if you are late, but yes, they do wait for you if you’re running a bit late, as some of the travelers were late for the free trip to the airport (but please do not try this as you might get left behind). We arrived at the airport on time with lots of free time to roam around. I’ll talk about my airport experience on another article.

Hotel June Seoul ICN Buffet Spread

The lunch buffet spread at Hotel June. Not much, but enough to keep you full and energized for your next flight.

My first plate. Game on!

My first plate. Game on!

Read: How to get free access at a K-POP TV show during your Seoul ICN stopover

Stay awesome,

FRUSTRATEDBILLIONAIRE

What are your thoughts? Feel free to comment, share your tips, or ask a question. Please also like me on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter! Thank you!

15 Comments
  1. Reply
    diana awuy December 5, 2015 at 1:28 PM

Hi! I was reading this post, and I was wondering what number did you call to get that hotel voucher? And how did you ask? Is it something special? I bought my tickets through orbitz.com, I am not sure if that makes a difference or not.
    Okay, thanks for your time.

FrustratedBillionaire December 5, 2015 at 2:55 PM

Thanks Diana for commenting. I didn’t call the hotel directly to get the voucher, instead, I called Asiana airlines at their local phone number (see below) and requested a free hotel stay (you can choose between free hotel stay or transit tour) they were the ones who arranged my accommodation with hotel June.
      You will be getting the hotel voucher – just present your ticket reservation details – at the Asiana desk at the arrival area of ICN airport in Seoul.
      Since you booked via a third party website, kindly give them a call at below number to ask if your trip is eligible. I think you should be able to get a free hotel/transit tour with them since you are flying Asiana anyway.

See below contact details of Asiana Manila:
      6F The Salcedo Tower,
      169 Dela Costa St., Salcedo Village, Makati City
      Tel. #: 632-662-8000

Thanks again Diana, and let me know if you have questions. Happy Holidays!
      Best,
      FRUSTRATEDBILLIONAIRE

diana awuy December 6, 2015 at 11:44 AM

Thank you for the information! I called them, unfortunately one of my flights is during the black out dates. But yes they do offer it still, I will take advantage of it on my way back! Thank you again.

• FrustratedBillionaire December 6, 2015 at 4:25 PM

You’re welcome Diana, glad I was able to help! Aww too bad, but yeah you can still enjoy it on your way home. :) Have fun on your trip and please also like me on Facebook! Thank you!

2. Reply
    Kaizerine Blanes December 23, 2015 at 3:27 PM

Hi, my husband and I booked our trip using faregeek.com, do you think we will still be eligible with the offer?

And also, our 14 hour layover will be on the flight coming back to the US. Do I need a Korean visa? I have a Philippine passport and US greencard.

Thank you so much. Your blog is very helpful!

FrustratedBillionaire December 23, 2015 at 5:29 PM

Hi Kaizerine, thanks for your message. I just called Asiana – yes, you may avail of the free transit tour/hotel accommodation on an Asiana flight purchased from faregeek.com or any other third party booking sites. You just need to contact Asiana to book your free tour/stay.

You may avail of the free tour/stay given that:
      -your flights are not during Asiana’s blackout dates (Dec24-Jan1).
      -your next flight to Manila or the US or vice versa is within 24 hours.
      -your layover is in Incheon Airport (ICN).

Asiana has confirmed that you do not need a Korean visa as long as you have a valid US visa and as long as your stay is less than 24 hours.

You may call Asiana Manila at +632 6628000 or their international numbers to reserve your free tour/stay.

Hope this helps! Thank you, Kaizerine. Enjoy your trip, and happy holidays!

Best,
      FRUSTRATEDBILLIONAIRE

3. Reply
    Karen May 6, 2016 at 11:05 AM

Hi, is Asiana Airline offers free hotel only way way. I have a round trip, I called and asked and been confirmed about the hotel. However, they told me they only provide one either when i go, or when i go back. Is that true?

FrustratedBillionaire May 6, 2016 at 12:36 PM

Hey Kare, that’s right. They can only offer hotel accommodation on one leg of your trip.
      From PH to the US, they have a long layover. From US to PH, there is a shorter layover (2hrs) and another option for a longer layover (overnight). So since they have an available flight in the next 2 hours from US to PH, I’m thinking that may be the reason they only offer accommodation for one way.

4. Reply
    New_Trends May 26, 2016 at 6:42 PM

Hi – when you availed of this free tour or hotel do you have to pass korean immigration?
    and do you need to fill up some forms as well?

FrustratedBillionaire May 26, 2016 at 6:51 PM

Thanks for commenting! Yes we all have to go through immigration and fill out the necessary arrival forms. Your passport will be stamped as well, validating your entry to the country.

5. Reply
    FrustratedBillionaire July 5, 2016 at 2:37 PM

Hi Ely, Thanks for commenting. You’ll need to contact Asiana for the free stay / tour prior to your departure. However since you’re unable to contact them beforehand, it won’t hurt to approach the Asiana airlines desk upon arrival at Incheon airport to see if you can still join (I hope you still can). :)

6. Reply
    Diosete Cayabyab January 18, 2017 at 3:12 PM

Hi! I was just wondering of this is applicable if the trip is the other way around? From US-PH. Thanks!

FrustratedBillionaire January 18, 2017 at 7:45 PM

Hello Diosete, apparently it is. I have a friend who went from London to Manila just a few weeks ago, and she was able to enter Korea without a visa during the London-Manila leg.
      It is worth trying alhough it’s not directly mentioned in their website.

7. Reply
    Frida July 29, 2017 at 11:57 AM

Hi there! Thanks for the great info. I was wondering what happens to your luggage? Do you pick it up and check it back in on your next flight? I am flying from Tokyo to Frankfurt via Incheon Airport. I have a 18+ layover. So I am considering getting the free hotel offer to stay overnight. But I am not sure about the luggage. It would be really helpful to know in advance. Thank a lot! Frida

FrustratedBillionaire July 29, 2017 at 1:00 PM

Hello Frida, if you book your flight with the same airline and your final destination is Frankfurt, no need to pick up and recheck it back in, since your baggage is routed to your connecting flight . But if you booked two separate flights, you need to get your baggage since they may not know you have a connection.
      If it’s the first one, the airline probably already has that arranged for you, but it’s still best to contact your airline in advance just to be sure and avoid surprises when you’re already there. Enjoy your trip Frida!

Have something to say? Leave a comment!

FrustratedBillionaire